Winston-Salem Alumnae Chapter History

Sorors Laura Fox and Marian Wilson had social interactions with Founder Jimmie Bugg Middleton who was from Raleigh. They collaborated and took the necessary steps to charter a chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, Incorporated in Winston-Salem.

 

The Alpha Nu Sigma Chapter was chartered in 1939 by Marian Palmer, Eastern Regional Director. Charter members included Gladys Anderson, Lucy Bradshaw , Frazier Creecy, Leola Dugas, Thelma Dunston, Laura Fox, Medora Hill, Maude Johnson, Beatrice Jordan, Ann McCay, Eddie Mae Norris, Evelyn West, and Marian Wilson. Laura Fox served as the first president. In 1959 the chapter name changed from Alpha Nu Sigma to Winston-Salem Alumnae Chapter.  Thirty members have ably served as chapter presidents since its inception.

 

The Gamma Phi Chapter at Winston-Salem State University and Pi Omicron Chapter at Wake Forest University were established with the assistance of Winston-Salem Alumnae Chapter members.

 

The chapter history reflects involvement in the arts. Delta Fine Arts, Inc. is now a separate 501 c-3, spun off from chapter efforts. It purchased furniture by the 19th century African American cabinet maker Thomas Day on permanent display at the N.C. Museum of History in Raleigh, N.C.

 

The chapter has hosted regional conferences, state meetings and public Founders Day celebrations. Various awards celebrate its achievements.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Winston-Salem Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

This website was created using 1&1 MyWebsite.